Thursday, July 28, 2011

What are we up to?

So...
Dark Side customs is looking like it's headed in the right direction. I'll be investing quite a bit into raising the standard of D.S.C. Excellence. Better materials, new designs and more ways to buy are all in the works. I'm doing everything I can to make Dark Side Customs a Household Name.

The Gear Box (Dark)
You may - or may not - be aware that the metals market has been in a state of flux lately. The price of silver and gold has been through the roof and traders are in a panic about prices skyrocketing over a number of months.

Many jewelers, like myself, have turned to using base metals for their small-ticket items. Though most have kept their noble metal items in production, the cost is, as always, passed on to the consumer. I'm working on a way around that. I will continue to produce handmade base metal pieces; I'm stepping up to the noble metals in a way that will keep them affordable and not sacrifice quality in any way. I want D.S.C. to be the Gold Standard so I'll keep reaching for that Brass Ring.


You may have noticed that I've placed donation buttons on the D.S.C. website and at the bottom of this blog. Well... don't be frightened. I'm not telling anyone that they have to pay "or else" and I'm not begging for 10% of your weekly earnings. I'm just leaving the option open for those interested in being a part of the growth of Dark Side Customs. A couple people have asked me to explain. So...
Dark Side Customs started out as an idea - between a few former friends and myself - several years ago. We liked working on cars and motorcycles and wanted to start our own custom shop. Differences happened, people split and I'm sure you can figure out the rest. The idea never left my mind.

I had already run a small jewelry business and I felt comfortable with it. When the opportunity came around and I was able to start again, I figured I would combine the dream name with the dream of being creative and making a living at it. Thus we have the current incarnation of D.S.C.

Now, I'm looking for ways to bring the full dream of my art feeding my family to fruition. That is the reason for the donation buttons.


The Aviary
My friends are doing great things. Really. Take a look for yourself. Some people are just amazing at altering your perception and challenging you to open your mind. Kelly Kotulak is one of them.

"There is a fire in your heart, sometimes shy, and sometimes bright, and it yearns for magic. You carry it like a secret. It reaches for mysteries, it delights in the strange, it dares. You step behind the curtain. That fire sets your eyes alight".
-From Kelly's Etsy profile.

(right) Three brass bird skulls hang beneath a gate of ornate brass filigree, graced by the rhythmic drape of chain.


She is the essence of SteamPunk. You can find more of her beautiful work on Etsy. She's among my favorite shop owners. I have a feeling she'll be one of yours as well. Check out her shop:

~Bobby~

No comments:

Post a Comment