Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Who’s this “we” from the last post?

Xenia and The Wyvern's Crest
Time to make a few introductions. Yes, Dark Side was thought up by the man who used to work on motorcycles, precious metals, lyrics and music, you name it. Yes, he’s the one with the torch in his hand crouched over an intricate piece of filigree at the desk in our living room. But there’s another part to the business – one that I hope to be stepping up. That’d be me.

Bobby will tell you I’m the muse, the inspiration, the reason for his starting this crazy idea. Don’t listen to him. He’s biased – after all, he’s married to me. What I am, what I hope to be, is a little more than an ornament in the catalogue. Although that’s where it starts.

My first job, of course, as the earliest Dark Side creations got invented, was modeling them. I continue posing for photos and taking new pieces out for some exposure before they go up on the shop, though of course several other models have been featured in our product photos as well. After a stint in costuming and stage combat, posing for a camera is second nature, and so is finding something in my wardrobe to play up a piece in any genre, be it classical, tribal, modern or steampunk.


Sea Foam by Xenia
Less obvious, but no less important, is the behind-the scenes organizational work I do. Blessed with the mathematical mind most creative types lack, I keep track of scheduling, budgeting, inventory, and the logistics of turning dollars and cents into a roll of wire and nifty stone, into a Dark Side original creation in the hands of my husband, and thence into a piece of much-loved jewelry in someone else’s hands. It will take that logical brain and a lot of critical thinking to let us turn our little online shop into a physical presence.

Mathematical or not, being exposed to Bobby’s beautiful work does inspire my mind to its own moments of creativity. I do my best to learn his techniques and combine them with my own old favorites: sewing and trim, bits of knitting or crochet work, embroidery, and of course, beading. Lots of beading.

After learning on cheap seed beads as a kid, the sudden wealth of beautiful materials available to a jeweler (which I’m also still learning about) is breathtaking, and enough to trigger the creative impulse in even the busiest wife and soon-to-be-mother. And while I started out by shyly letting Bobby bring my ideas to life, these days I’m ecstatic to be adding more of my own work to our lineup. Look out for more mysterious stones, bright crystals, and glowing pearls coming together in pieces like the Sea Foam set.


And while we’re on the subject of beading, I’d like to introduce you to a dear friend who has been an inspiration to us in that realm, not to mention a source of inherited beads for many projects to come. Chrysilla, Queen of the Cat People, has an eye for combining materials in startling new ways to create meaningful, expressive work.

Leopard Of Little Breezes
Jewelry plays a large part in the events of all cultures and historical periods. It expresses individuality and radical ideas, marks status and class, wins love and favor, and occasionally topples entire empires.
  Queen of the Cat People creates individual pieces to capture any and all aspects of this interstitial art form, inspired by many historical eras and movements.” –from Chrysilla’s website,

Check out Chrysilla’s work and pick up a sample for yourself at her well-stocked Etsy shop, or order a custom charm or talisman to adorn yourself and entice good fortune.


~Xenia~

No comments:

Post a Comment