Friday, January 1, 2016

A New DSC for 2016 - It's About Time!

Procrastination Sucks!!!

Hello, Dear Friends.

It's been quite some time. I have to admit that I'm actually not very good at this blogging thing. I know what I want to say. It just becomes a challenge to figure out how to get it from my brain to my fingers. I guess I just need practice. 

So... Let's get to it.

2016 is going to be a year of change. What a struggle it was to get here. 2015 was one of the toughest years I've ever faced. I guess you can call it a Murphy's Law kind of year. I've lost my mind a few times. I've felt like giving up more than a few times. I've learned quite a few valuable lessons. What do I do with it all?

HECATE VICTORIANA Bronze Cuff
I've always known that one of my biggest problems is procrastination as a result of the fear of failure. It's not a new topic. I know that I've touched on it somewhere in previous blogs. There have been so many times that I've delayed projects due to the fear of failing. So many projects were never started. It has kept me wondering how far I might have gotten without that monkey on my back.

It's not always projects that involve making jewelry. There are so many other things that should have been done that just never made it past planning.

Putting on my Big Boy Pants...

One of those neglected projects involves the creation of a campaign to move the vast majority of DSC production out of my livingroom and backyard, and taking it a step further into the real world. I've been wanting to do it for quite some time. I will be making that campaign a reality this year. Just you wait and see.  

The BIG Picture...

I'm making some investments that will serve to make it impossible for me to not move on my ideas. Some of those ideas involve marketing. I'm sure you don't really want to sit here and read about marketing strategy and the like. Don't worry. You won't have to. 

I will tell you that the investments are more time than money. But there is one seriously cool investment that falls into both categories. 

As (sort of) a One Person Operation, I do most everything on my own. I design my product. I manufacture my product. I market my product. I hopefully sell my product. I repeat. That means that - somewhere in the middle of all this - I photograph my product. I edit those photos for size and clarity. Then I post those photos on Etsy and various social media outlets in the hopes that they're seen. Well... I've just purchased a mini photography studio to set up in my livingroom. This will make it so much easier to work with the models I've been wanting to work with. It gives me fewer and fewer excuses as to why "I can't do it right now". It's a major step for me. I'm more than happy to take it. In fact... I've already started making the plans. Not just making plans in my head. I'm talking about making plans with the people I would like to have involved. I'm practically bouncing while typing this.

I'm sure there's much more I could tell you. But you didn't come here to read a novel. And I don't want to give everything away in one shot. That just wouldn't be fair to either of us. This isn't bad for my first blog in a couple years. I'll be back. I'll also be incorporating video logs (vlogs) into the mix. It's my way of keeping us more closely connected. Together, we can make DSC the great adventure we all want it to be.

Have a beautiful everyday. I'll see you on the Dark Side.












A bit of inspiration...

One of the things I liked to do in my previous blogs was to introduce you to other people that inspire me. That's what I'm going to do right now. 

I've always wanted to try my hand at pottery. I've also been wanting to learn how to knit forever. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it any time soon. I've got enough on my hands. However, for those of you that love mixing the super cool with the super practical, you might just want to take a look at this.
This ceramic yarn bowl is thrown in the traditional Korean style. The inner and outer glazes are a combination of French Blue and Red-Brown. The Red-Brown creates a beautiful bronze-gold speckled effect on the deep blue background. This yarn bowl can accommodate lace to DK weight yarns. This bowl makes the perfect gift for anyone who knits or crotchets.  The jumbo is about 5.5" tall and 10" wide. The large is about 4.5" tall and 8" wide. The medium is about 4.25" tall and 7" wide. The small is about 4" tall and 6" wide.  **The bowls will take about 3 to 4 weeks to complete. Once fired, I use priority mail, so it will only take 2-3 days to ship.**  I can ship international, so please feel free to contact me about shipping prices.  I can make a customized knitting bowls, so feel free to message me if you want a smaller or larger bowl like this one.
Rustic Knitting Bowl - By Rehndell Masi


The Magic of the Potters...

I've recently become connected with a group of pottery rockstars. That's right. Pottery rockstars.  The piece you're seeing in the photo to the right is made by one of them. Her name is Rehndell. (www.etsy.com/shop/RehnWorks)

Here's a little bit from the lady, herself:


"I have a lot of hobbies and love to learn new artistic ways of expressing myself. I am a mostly self taught artist, with the exception of throwing; I have the privilege of studying under a wonderful Korean potter, at the Brickhouse Pottery Studio in L.I.C. New York. 


For a while I would make things solely for my friends and family; however, I started to get requests from friends of friends and strangers for my work. Now I hope to use Etsy as a way to branch out to a larger audience, with the end goal of being able to support myself through my work. So take a look around, and if you have any questions feel free to ask!"



Handmade Ceramics, Yarn Bowls, Tea bowls, Nesting Bowls, Ceramic Buttons, Soup Bowls, Korean Pottery, Succulent Planters, Mugs, Tumblers, Knitting Bowls


Keep a lookout for upcoming sales and ceramic clearance! Every Saturday we host kids clay classes at the Artist and Craftsman Supply Store in LIC. Check out their events page for more info :
You can follow us on Instagram @rehnworks.




Brown Tankard Beer Stein
Brown Tankard Beer Stein - By Rita Varian

Also Keep An Eye On...


Another magical potter you'll want to look out for is Rita Varian (www.ritavarian.com).

Rita Varian is a ceramic artist living in Long Island City, New York. She creates handbuilt sculpture and functional art. 
Rita Varian earned her BFA from the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University, and her MFA at the State University of New York at New Paltz. She is an associate member of Brickhouse Ceramic Art Center.
Her style is unique, intriguing, and fun. I'm determined to own one of her tankards. We'll be talking about that very soon. Very, very soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment